What You Can Count On
SECTION 1: PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
As a coach, I:
1) Conduct myself in accordance with the ICF Code of Ethics in all interactions, including coach training, coach mentoring, and coach supervisory activities
2) Commit to take the appropriate action with the coach, trainer, or coach mentor and/or will contact ICF to address any ethics violation or possible breach as soon as I become aware, whether it involves me or others.
3) Communicate and create awareness in others, including organizations, employees, sponsors, coaches, and those who might need to be informed of the responsibilities established by this Code
4) Refrain from unlawful discrimination in occupational activities, including age, race, gender orientation, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or disability.
5) Make verbal and written statements that are true and accurate about what I offer as a coach, the coaching profession, or ICF.
6) Accurately identify my coaching qualifications, expertise, experience, training, certifications, and ICF Credentials
7) Recognize and honor the efforts and contributions of others and only claim ownership of my own material. I understand that violating this standard may leave me subject to legal remedy by a third party.
8) Strive at all times to recognize my personal issues that may impair, conflict, with or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional coaching relationships. I will promptly seek the relevant professional assistance and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s) whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate.
9) Recognize that the Code of Ethics applies to my relationship with coaching clients, coachees, students, mentees, and supervisees
10) Conduct and report research with competence, honesty, and within recognized scientific standards and applicable subject guidelines.
11) Maintain, store, and dispose of any records, including electronic files and communications, created during my coaching engagements in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security, and privacy and complies with any applicable laws and agreements
12) Use ICF Member contact information (email addresses, telephone numbers, and so on) only in the manner and to the extent authorized by the ICF.
SECTION 2: CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
As a coach, I:
13) Seek to be conscious of any conflict or potential conflict of interest, openly disclose any such conflict, and offer to remove myself when a conflict arises.
14) Clarify roles for internal coaches, set boundaries, and review with stakeholders conflicts of interest that may emerge between coaching and other role functions.
15) Disclose to my client and the sponsor(s) all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may receive for referrals of clients or pay to receive clients.
16) Honor an equitable coach/client relationship, regardless of the form of compensation.
SECTION 3: BEHAVIOR WITH CLIENTS
As a coach, I:
17) Ethically speak what I know to be true to clients, prospective clients, or sponsors about the potential value of the coaching process or of me as a coach.
18) Carefully explain and strive to ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, my coaching client and sponsor(s) understand the nature of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement.
19) Have a clear coaching service agreement with my clients and sponsor(s) before beginning the coaching relationship and honor this agreement. The agreement shall include the roles, responsibilities, and rights of all parties involved.
20) Hold responsibility for being aware of and setting clear, appropriate and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern interactions, physical or otherwise, I may have with my clients or sponsor(s). 21) Avoid any sexual or romantic relationship with current clients or sponsor(s) or students, mentees, or supervisees. Further, I will be alert to the possibility of any potential sexual intimacy among the parties, including my support staff and/or assistants, and will take the appropriate action to address the issue or cancel the engagement to provide a safe overall environment.
22) Respect the client’s right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement. I shall remain alert to indications that there is a shift in the value received from the coaching relationship.
23) Encourage the client or sponsor to make a change if I believe the client or sponsor would be better served by another coach or by another resource, and suggest my client seek the services of other professionals when deemed necessary or appropriate.
SECTION 4: CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY
As a coach, I:
24) Maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client and sponsor information unless release is required by law.
25) Have a clear agreement about how coaching information will be exchanged among coach, client, and sponsor.
26) Have a clear agreement when acting as a coach, coach mentor, coaching supervisor, or trainer—with client and sponsor, student, mentee, or supervisee about the conditions under which confidentiality may not be maintained (e.g., illegal activity, pursuant to valid court order or subpoena; imminent or likely risk of danger to self or to others; etc.) and make sure both client and sponsor, student, mentee, or supervisee voluntarily and knowingly agree in writing to that limit of confidentiality. Where I reasonably believe one of the above circumstances is applicable, I may need to inform appropriate authorities.
27) Require all those who work with me in support of my clients to adhere to the ICF Code of Ethics, Number 26, Section 4, Confidentiality and Privacy Standards, and any other sections of the Code of Ethics that might be applicable.
SECTION 5: CONTINUING DEVELOPMENT
As a coach, I:
28) Commit to the need for continued and ongoing development of my professional skills.
Part Three: The ICF Pledge of Ethics
As an ICF coach, I acknowledge and agree to honor my ethical and legal obligations to my coaching clients and sponsors, colleagues, and to the public at large. I pledge to comply with the ICF Code of Ethics and to practice these standards with those whom I coach, teach, mentor, or supervise. If I breach this Pledge of Ethics or any part of the ICF Code of Ethics, I agree that the ICF in its sole discretion may hold me accountable for so doing. I further agree that my accountability to the ICF for any breach may include sanctions, such as loss of my ICF Membership and/or my ICF Credentials.